Liquorice fabric Sorbetto inspired summer top

I really like the Sorbetto Pattern and I have made made 3 tops now, with another one in progress.

Liquorice Sorbetto top with square neckline
Liquorice Sorbetto top with square neckline

I have made several changes to the original pattern:

  • Square neckline
  • 10 small front pleats
  • front and back neck facing (white fabric)
  • arm facing (white fabric)
  • elastic in the front
The alterations were a bit of trial and error. I didn’t plan to have elastic in the front, however the neckline was slightly too wide, but i actually prefer the snug fit with the elastic. The facing for the neck and arm are 2 pieces of lightweight white cotton  a front and back piece – this took a white to draft as i the front and back had changed shapes compared to the the pattern i has started with
 I love the fit and design of the finished top.


front pleats
front pleats
liquorice sorbetto top, back view
liquorice sorbetto top, back view

Sorbetto top with half sleeves and front detail

So this is my second project using the Sorbetto Top pattern – it can be downloaded for free at
Learning from my mistakes and from wearing my first made Sorbetto top,  I have now made a few adjustments to ensure this new top is more comfortable …. and also a bit different.

I have added :

  • about 4 inches to the length of the top
  • instead of one pleat in the front i have done 8 pin tucks
  • 1 small patch pocket on the right front
Here is a picture of my top … still in process
front detail sorbetto top
front detail sorbetto top….not finished yet

And the finished product

sorbetto with sleeves pocket front detail
I like the small pocket, handy for phone or oyster card

Red and White Summer Top

I recently bought a cotton scarf with red and white check pattern, and I didn’t particularly like the scarf; however the fabric was soft, light and big enough to make a top from.

I used the free downloadable Sorbetto top pattern from Colette Patterns.

I did not scale the pattern correctly when I printed it as the size was not perfect but that just gives me the excuse to try again and make a few more tops.

And here is the finished product. I used red bias binding to finish off the neck and arms.

red and white top
Red and white Sorbetto Top